Everyone knows that electrical outlets, and the iron are dangers for your children and pets, but there are many others that you may never think twice about.

  1. Your Oven – Even if the oven is off, there are dangers that you should be aware of.  If the oven hasn’t been installed properly it is a tipping hazard.  A towel draped over the handle is something a pet or child may want to pull and play with.  This could cause the oven to tip or the door to open.    The knobs are easy to turn and your pet or child could easily turn the oven on, making the surface hot or releasing hazardous gas.
  2. Your Dishwasher – Your pet probably knows that there are lots of goodies left on the dishes in the dishwasher.  This can pose a danger from sharp knives and forks.  Leftover washing detergent can cause burns and poison your pet.
  3. Houseplants- Many are poisonous or have sharp spikes or spines.  Trees can also be a tipping hazard.  Make sure your houseplants are pet/child friendly. 
  4. Multivitamins-  Your kids love their multi gummies, and may think they are candy, but even vitamins can be dangerous if they have too many.
  5. The Toilet- Its crawling with dangerous bacteria, and is an obvious drowning hazard, but your dog and cat may think it’s a water bowl, and your toddler can mistake it as a fountain or toy, so keep the seat down and securely locked. 
  6. Latex Balloons-  This type of balloon can block your pet’s or child’s airway in a flash and it can be hard to find all the little pieces after it pops.  To be safe, purchase Mylar balloons and always supervise your pets and children while using them.
  7. Window Blinds- The cords on your blinds are serious hazards for both pets and children.  If your little one gets them wrapped around his neck, the results can be deadly.   We recommend switching all your blinds to the newer cordless style.  If this is not possible, cords must be secured and kept out of reach of little hands and paws.
  8. Mouthwash and Toothpaste- It looks and smells like candy, but ingesting too much can make your pets and kids very sick.  Keep it locked up high- never on the bathroom sink or counter. 

Use a child proof door lock to keep kids in view at all times.

Pin It on Pinterest